Rakuten Europe celebrates the Group’s 25th anniversary with an eventful year
Luxembourg, December 21, 2022 – 2022 marks Rakuten’s 25th anniversary – and the entire group has been celebrating a quarter of a century of innovation and tremendous growth across e-commerce, fintech, mobile, digital content, sports and many other industries.
Continuing its path of connecting the many dots in the region, Rakuten Europe joined the celebration with many milestones – ranging from major partnerships and the expansion of its mobile technology footprint to the launch of cashback services in Germany, Spain and the U.K.
In line with its mission to empower people, businesses and society as a whole, Rakuten also shared insightful details on the next generation’s consumer behavior, took significant steps to fight counterfeits and supported many good causes along the way.
Some of Rakuten’s key achievements across the EMEA region in 2022 include:
Rakuten Europe enhances consumer experience:
- Rakuten celebrates the launch of an all-new cashback program in the U.K., Spain and Germany, bringing Rakuten Group services and hundreds of brands to members in a more relevant, dynamic and rewarding way. Read More.
- Rakuten Europe becomes a new partner of Japan Expo in Paris, presenting a new, exclusive service and offering Japan Expo visitors an authentic experience that dives into Japanese culture. Read More.
- Rakuten Europe introduces its cashless payment system “Rakuten Pay” to the French Market for the first time at Japan Expo, one of Rakuten‘s strategic partners. Read More.
Rakuten Symphony transforms mobile network operations in Europe:
- Rakuten Symphony expands its operations across the U.K., France and Germany to strengthen the company’s local presence and its ability to serve customers in the region. Read More.
- Rakuten Symphony launches Symworld, a platform to help telecom operators scale at the speed of cloud. Read More.
- Rakuten Symphony challenges the traditional industry approach to “what’s new” at MWC 2022, the largest gathering of the mobile networking industry worldwide. Read More.
Rakuten brings people together at major sports events
- Rakuten has long valued the unique and impactful role sports play in society, and the ATP Mallorca Championships in 2022 were yet another successful example of empowering people and communities through innovation and connecting fans and players across the globe. Read More.
- One of the only major tennis events to be played in teams, the Davis Cup is an important presence on the men’s tennis calendar. Rakuten brought back the Davis Cup Fan World Cup Presented by Rakuten in 2022, this year focusing on a theme of resilience and optimism. Read More.
- As the partnership draws to a close after an unforgettable five years, Rakuten is expressing its gratitude to the Club and the fans by saying “Arigato” — thank you! Read More.
Rakuten takes empowerment seriously
- Rakuten Group has made another important stride toward further strengthening its commitment to privacy and data protection globally. In May, the U.K.’s Data Protection Authority granted their approval to the definitive text of Rakuten’s U.K. Binding Corporate Rules. Read More.
- One of the original signers of the European Commission’s path-breaking Memorandum of Understanding on the sale of counterfeit goods, Rakuten France, takes the fight against fake products to the next level. Read More.
- In collaboration with Rakuten Insight Global, Rakuten Europe holds an online survey for Gen Z in France, Germany, Spain, Japan, the U.K., and the U.S. to find out about this generation’s consumer preferences and trends. Read More.
Rakuten Group, Inc. (TSE: 4755) is a global leader in internet services that empower individuals, communities, businesses and society. Founded in Tokyo in 1997 as an online marketplace, Rakuten has expanded to offer services in e-commerce, fintech, digital content and communications to approximately 1.6 billion members around the world. The Rakuten Group has over 31,000 employees, and operations in 30 countries and regions. For more information visit https://global.rakuten.com/corp/.
In Europe, Rakuten has been active for more than a decade and is constantly growing its footprint. The network of business units consists of more than 14 services, available in almost every European country. With Rakuten Europe’s head office in Luxembourg and offices in London, Dublin, Paris, Berlin, Barcelona and other major European cities, Rakuten Europe is more than just a company, it’s a vision of a true Ecosystem. For more information visit https://corp.rakuten.eu
EMEA Corporate Communications Department